Today’s job seekers are looking for opportunities in an ever-growing variety of sources: massive job boards, small career pages, social and business media sites, mobile applications, and online sites are available for top talent to pick and choose positions of interest. Too many companies are not meeting candidates in the areas they search. In the war on talent, a winning hiring strategy is a proactive hiring strategy – sourcing candidates on their terms and in ways that make the application process seamless, fast and fruitful.
Who’s searching, and how
It’s estimated that 95% of Americans own a smartphone, with one study putting 86% of job seekers using theirs to search for career opportunities. Users are searching for jobs via their mobile devices about 1 billion times per month. If you’re not reaching out to target audiences with an applicant journey that’s mobile-friendly, you can be sure your competition is.
The rise of social media in the recruitment market
Most businesses consider LinkedIn and Indeed go-to sites to source candidates, particularly at the professional level, but Facebook Business and Google Jobs are vying for their share in the $200 billion recruitment market. For many companies, a career page on Facebook is generating a new applicant stream with targeted advertising that reaches their demographic. With a volume of about 3.5 billion searches per month, it’s no wonder Google has joined the lucrative recruitment market.
Be mobile optimized or be left behind
With only 60% of employers reporting their career website is optimized for mobile search and application, the other 40% are missing out on talent. But more than having a site that works with smartphones, a career page has to be seamless: it represents the company’s brand and promotes the first impression of an applicant’s journey to new hire. It should be inviting, current and encourage the candidate to apply.
But the process must be efficient, as well. Too long an application and you’ll lose them. Too many screens to scroll through or complete, and they’ll quickly move on. One survey puts 20% of applicants investing less than 10 minutes on an application or two to three pages on their mobile device before they lose interest and simply drop off.
Recruitment that entertains
Trending in the war on talent are applicant journeys that utilize gamification to attract candidates and keep them moving along the pipeline. Adding an element of fun not only makes the process entertaining for job seekers, it can include gamified questions that validate qualifications and suitability for the job. When done correctly, gamification can speed time to hire because of its screening capabilities.
Snaplications are another trend in hiring: with almost 190 million users daily, an application process through the platform immediately allows candidates to apply for jobs with their Snapchat account. Some businesses are leveraging virtual reality to show applicants what it’s like to work at their company: they may supplement VR with YouTube videos for those without access to a headset.
Meeting consumer needs
Today’s job seekers are consumers - as demanding as they are in-demand: if you don’t meet their expectations, they’ll find a company that will. The impression you make at the application process actually sets the tone for their interest in potential employment with you. If you’re sourcing them in areas they frequent make sure the process is seamless and engaging, and if possible, fun. Too many companies set up processes and systems and hope for the best: proactive companies go through their protocols frequently to check for lags in the system, glitches and places where the process stalls and could be losing candidates.
Sourcing candidates in the places they search for jobs is critical for every business in today’s tight market. Assuring the application process reflects your company: efficient, effective and even fun can help win the war on talent. Checkout our latest white paper that will help you meet job seeker expectations by optimizing your applicant journeys and communication.